11/11/2016 – With the holiday season soon to be upon us, there are many vacation packages available near the Atlanta area. We recommend that you also think about all the fun things to do as well as the popular places near Atlanta that you might want to visit. Keep in mind holiday-oriented events celebrating Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve when looking to stay at a romantic getaway near Atlanta. One of the more spectacular events is our very own Fantasy In Lights hosted here at Callaway Gardens.
This year marks the 25th year of our Fantasy In Lights display, which features eight million lights that stretch for more than five miles—it took us 3,900 hours to install all the scenes! Our show features 15 holiday scenes including our brand new scene, Snow Day. Along with the new scene, the display includes a “Snowflake Valley” show that features thousands of white lights and massive snowflakes and a 24-foot wreath entrance at “The Magical Christmas Garden.” The light show includes a surround-sound system on our open-air “Jolly Trolley” or in your own vehicle. Santa’s Workshop features animated versions of Santa’s Elves in their house making toys. Not that the light show isn’t spectacular in itself, but families who visit us will also want to experience our 22,000-foot indoor Christmas Village that features not only visits with Santa and story times with Mrs. Claus but many other holiday characters as well, with a wide variety of specialty food items for the holidays.
The Fantasy in Lights season officially begins Friday, November 18, 2016 and runs through Saturday, January 7, 2017. During this time, many events associated with the Fantasy in Lights festival will be going on at beautiful Callaway Gardens, located in gorgeous Pine Mountain, Georgia.
- Santa Photos: Take your pictures with our Santa any night from November 18through December 24 in the Christmas Village.
- Story Time with Mrs. Claus: Join Mrs. Claus for a fun hour of storytelling and cupcake decorating, Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and Sundays at 1:30 p.m., November 19through December 24 in the Christmas Village.
- Christmas Character Breakfast: Enjoy our southern breakfast buffet in the Mountain Creek Inn Ballroom while our Christmas Characters entertain and delight you from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. on November 19, 20, 25, 26, 27 and December 3, 4, 10, 11, 17, 18, 24, 25.
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas Dinner Show: Enjoy our live-action adaptation of this beloved Dr. Seuss children’s tale at 5:45 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Saturdays November 19through December 17 and Friday, November 25 but excluding Saturday, December 3 inside the Mountain Creek Inn Ballroom.
- Holiday Chapel Services: Sundays, November 20th through December 25at 9 a.m. in the Ida Cason Callaway Memorial Chapel.
- Holiday Chapel Organ Concerts: Saturdays and Sundays, November 19through Christmas Day, December 25 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., as well as Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 24.
There are few places to see a display of holiday lights as good as ours. In fact, National Geographic Traveler ranks our Fantasy In Lights Festival among the world’s top 10 displays of holiday lights, equaling spectacular displays found in places as far flung as Belgium, Austria, Denmark, Sweden, Spain, Columbia, China, and Japan. If that were not reason enough to come visit us, The Weather Channel has named our display as one of the top 10 places where you can see holiday lights, and the American Bus Association lists our Fantasy in Lights Festival as one of the top 100 events of any kind in America. Come enjoy the holidays at Callaway Gardens!